Monday, July 9, 2012

What's in a grade?

"What can I do to bring up my grade?" Students and parents frequently ask this question of me, and it bothers me all the way to my core. Why? Because my answer is routinely "turn in your missing assignments" or something similar when my answer should be "learn __________, ____________, & ___________." I can't shake the idea that students are being judged by whether they have done their work versus whether they have learned.

 So, what's in a grade? What does getting an "A" mean?

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting to hear. It appears too many people (students/parents/etc.) feel like the "A" means they were in attendance and awake. Whether or not they actually achieved anything during that time is no longer an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. CG started doing a standards-based report card last year in Kindergarten and will be keeping it with that class, so it's a 13 year process. To me that seems a little slow, but maybe once they get some traction they'll just apply it to everyone. I think standards-based report cards and student portfolios are going to be the "new way" to demonstrate learning. (As in, that's what colleges will look at)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the standards-based report card. When will you begin utilizing it... What grade do you teach?

    ReplyDelete